My daughter-in-law Lauri gave me a quilt to restore back in December.
It was her baby quilt. Yeah, as in when she was a baby!
That quilt has to be right about the same age.
I took that quilt home and studied it.
It had issues!
It’s a “leisure suit larry quilt” cause a lot of those square were from that time frame!
Almost every square is a polyester knit. There are a few that are a pre-quilted navy blue cotton bit.
I’m doing the restoration between other projects so it will take a while. Many of the 5 1/2″ square are bad. Snagged. Holes. Runs. But many of them are perfect. 40 years old and still hanging in there.
So I am very methodically ripping each row apart. Replacing bad squares with new knit fabric that I have in my stash and stuff I have pulled out of the learning center donations. (Several new squares are left-over fabric from the two dresses I made out of jersey knit)
I already bought a backing fabric. The backing on the original quilt was yellow so I went with a yellow cotton material with little circles. (Lauri has a thing for circles!)
I’ve got four rows done. Replaced 25 squares. Many more rows to go and at least another 30 squares to replace!
Sorry Lauri, this could take me a couple more years!